View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017, 08:01 AM

Just for anyone else looking into the same question I'll share my recent experience dealing with the same question. My main amp is a Blackstar HT40 that sounds great, but it is big and loud even with the master volume which can be sensitive at low volumes. Big being a relative word of course as it is a 1x12 but has a fairly large enclosure, and for the size is pretty darn heavy as well. I wanted a smaller setup both for volume and convenience to play in the evenings when the family has retired for the night.

Modeling: I started out with a Line6 Firehawk FX - taking the traditional headphones route and not wanting to spend the $$ on a Helix not knowing if it would be my thing. The Firehawk FX has the HD500x models but uses a Bluetooth interface and app to tweak the settings which I liked. It is not as flexible as a Helix in terms of routing, etc... but at less than half he price it seemed like a reasonable option. Pros: the modeling is quite good - the various amp/speaker combinations particularly the HD ones work and sound great. The effects are mostly usable and quite good as well with a few misses (none of the chorus effects really hit the mark for me as I am used to a vintage Boss CE2 that is just great). Still a ton of options and tones. The MP3 input works well if you want to play along with music. It has an effects loop allowing for 4 cord use if you desire and a load of output options for recording if that is important. Cons: there are limits to how many and in what order you can place the effects which can produce a signal chain that is not always ideal, and there is only one path (the Helix I believe allows two signal paths). The biggest issue for me is that as an old school guy who often practices by throwing on some music I want to learn or that I know and just want to jam along with I've gotten used to as a quick means to get a tone that fits the song. You can do this somewhat if you just pick a specific amp and add 5 pedals of your choice but it never seemed as easy as picking from my pedal selection. And there is the inevitable fiddle factor of tweaking patches - the presets mostly were not to my taste (typical of modeling it seems as the same is true of the Marshall Code25 I have and my sons Mustang II - you can get great sounds but rarely "out of the box" - they all seem to need tweaking.) Still on the fence with this - sounds great but the fiddle factor had me wanting a more traditional small setup. I'm reasonably tech savvy - wonder if the Helix would be better suited due to the greater flexibility but they do come at a steep price.

So I started exploring small tube combos. I tried the Bugera V5, Orange Micro Terror, Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5, a vintage Fender Champ, Laney Cub, Blackstar HT5, Jet City Custom 5, Vox AC4. I wanted to try the VHT Special 6 but couldn't find one locally to test out. Also checked out the Blues Jr and Orange Rocker 15 which were really more amp than I was looking for given I have a 40 watt main amp I was not looking to replace.

Really none of them sounded bad and any would make a good low watt practice amp. Some excelled at different things - the Fender sounded great but even used was a bit more than I wanted to pay. The Micro Terror and the H&K both really had terrific overdrive circuits and sounds. The Laney and Bugera were solid tube combos with nice tones. I ended up picking between the Blackstar HT5 and the Jet City Custom 5 - and ended up with the Jet City.

While not two channel - the Jet City has a ton of tone shaping features. There is a mid boost or low boost toggle, a bright switch, full EQ, master volume, effects loop and an attenuator to switch between 2 and 5 watts. Mine was also modded with a JCM like tone stack. Found it used at a good price and it really is a lot of bang for the buck. It's fairly heavy for a 5 watt head - has a massive transformer. With some tinkering it has a pretty good amount of clean headroom which I like. The drive variations are really flexible - maybe not modern gain per se but plenty of crunch and with the wattage adjustment it sounds really good at low volumes. I'm using a Blackstar 1x10 cabinet because I had one around and like the portability of that setup but would like to try a 1x12 just out of curiosity to see how it sounds.

While not at the top of the conventional list - I do encourage checking out the Jet City amps - they are a lot of value for the price and quite honestly sound as good or better than anything else I tried in the same class and general price range.
PRS Custom 24
Rickenbacker 330
Teles (too many)

Bad Cat Cub III 30R
Goodsell Super 17
Vintage Sound VS22

Too many pedals!