View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 12:53 PM

I've watched the infommercial, never played one of his guitars but will admit that he has decent chops as a guitar player. No, he aint no Doyle or Tommy E, but he can play pretty well. But myself being a professional musician (being one that is inviolved in music for a living) I'll tell you this. Just being able to play doesn't gaurantee that you'll be able to make a living out of it. You have to be able to do alot of other skills. I've done things that include lessons, workshops, wrote articles for guitar magazines, etc. just to try to make ends meet.
Today's mentality of music should be free has cost musicians all over. Spend about ten grand or more to record a project, and Joe Scmoe buys it, burns it, and slaps it on the www and the musician gets burnt. You have no idea how many times I've went to do a workshop and had people tell me they had heard my cd and burned a copy from their buddy, as they tried to tell me they enjoyed it they inadvertently tell me they stole it.

So say what you will about Esteban, he found a marketing way to make money as a musician, I respect that. And as I've said before, he's not trying to sell to you and me, his package is aimed at an audience that doesn't comparison shop or do their homework when it comes to quality of a product. Most sales on the shopping channels are impulsive, how many of you have seen that infommercial running at 3AM? Now, how many have been to the music store at 3am to compare guitars? See my point? That is a bonafide market that was just sitting there, somebody had to find it and I guess it was Esteban. I say more power to him.

BTW, Steve Kaufman (3 time national Winfield champ, instructional guru) just entered a deal with Harmony guitars. It ran on QVC for the first time a few nights ago. It consists of a Harmony acoustic guitar, 2 hour instructional dvd w/book by Steve, strings, picks, gigbag, stand, etc. for around $100. Steve said it did pretty well and that Harmony wants to run it again, but not sure when. Maybe ol esteban will have a little competition in the market now.
________
Honda cb125

Last edited by Allen Shadd; 05-03-2011 at 08:40 AM.