View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 11:11 AM

Hey David,

Glad to hear you like the Lyric. I have been using one in both my guitars (one for a couple years now, and one for about 3/4 of a year).

I am not nearly as experienced with pickups as you are but I can't see using anything else. I have tried a mag (M80) and an SBT (Schatten) before settling on the Lyric.

For me (and you know how and where I play mostly) the Lyric gives me the best representation of my guitars when amplified. Everything is a compromise compared to a condenser mic, but the Lyric is the only pickup I have used that gives a "natural response" to not just the strings, but the vibration of the body and the percussive nature of play (palm muting, etc).

It just responds "right," to my mind. The piezos always have this "rubber band" type of response that really turns me off. The Lyric has "air" that those don't provide.

I usually roll off some mids at about 500hz and 800hz...when playing with my own gear.

Although the "word on the street" is that the Lyric lacks bass, I have never found that to be the case, and on my dread, I actually need to roll off a little bass.

In my experience, getting the PRESENCE dial set correctly is the key. I have a dread and an OM-ish guitar and they both have the presence set differently, but both with good, natural results.

I also love how easy they are to install and move around, if you so desire. My Guild F30 did not have enough bridge plate in front of the pins to fit the Lyric, so I put it behind the pins directly on the spruce top. Works fine. I have never had any problems with feedback, but I don't play in loud environs.

You know, I don't do much fingerpicking like you do, but I am glad you have found it to be working for you. (Although, I always think your guitars sound good amplified. Way, way better than most I hear. But I also know you are kind of a stickler for these things )

See you soon.
Michael