View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 08:36 PM

Default used guitar w/ "re-humidified, sealed crack": run?

so I've been looking to replace one of the "ones that got away". which for me was a mid-tier Epiphone ,which had an AMAZING tone. best sound I've ever heard come out of something that didn't cost WELL into 4 digits. And while it wasn't the one I actually learned on, it was one of my first good guitars, which I had throughout my 20s.

anyway. I found a listing (finally) for an EXACT copy, basically, on reverb.

The problem is that, while it's otherwise in good shape, it has a crack right down the center of the back from drying out, which has been 're-humidified and sealed'.

My question is, am I playing with fire? will this affect the sound much? I know I'm slightly rolling the dice, but.. anyway. I've been looking for this guitar for about 10 years, so my gut is telling me to jump on it.

I will try to post pics momentarily. The other MAIN thing that is keeping me at bay is that I *really* don't need another Dread, as that would make all 3 of my guitars at this point dreadnoughts. And I don't really see getting rid of either of the 2 that I have.

anyway, food for thought. I'm going to post a picture of this crack, and YOU guys get to be the judge -- jump on it? run away? asking price on reverb is 279. msrp when new was $899 if I'm not mistaken.

And to be fair, a picture of the part I actually like (alot):

Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku

Last edited by v32 finish; 03-08-2018 at 08:50 PM. Reason: adding picture.