View Single Post
Old 05-18-2017, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Hay View Post
Sorry I'm late to the game here.
Late to the game? You were the first one to show up. My reason for starting this thread was to honor your contribution to the art of customization.

I can easily imagine that an X20N, with its full size body and its full length scale, can produce a full tone without needing to shift the bridge from the 14 fret position. I have also experienced some wooden crossovers with a full size body and the bridge in the 12 fret position that have too much bass, so I understand your design.

The thing is that a standard full size steel string guitar is larger than a standard full size classical guitar. This prevents the classical from sounding boomy, even with a long scale and a 12 fret bridge position. Personally, I like the comfort and tone of the smaller classical body, but I can't deal with the classical neck profile, which is why I'm looking for something new. The recent interest in X7N's suggests an overall preference for a smaller body with nylon.

I also understand your preference for a 650mm scale. I've played mainly Gibson solid body electrics for many years, I use a pick, and I like my action to be as low as physically possible. 650mm is definitely the best for low action, but it's a bit much for an electric guitarist. I really enjoy having the nut close enough to my left shoulder that I can allow my left arm to hang loosely by my side as I play. Short scale and low action are divergent parameters, so I'm looking for a point of balance. Right now, my guess is that a 640mm 12 fret will give me the left arm comfort while still providing enough string tension to accommodate reasonably low action.

I've done enough research and experimentation that I know exactly how I would spec a custom crossover, and this is my plan B. My plan A, which is why I joined this forum, is to see if there is a wider convergence of preference from other players, so that a production model could be defined. This would make it a lot easier for people without crossover experience to choose a guitar, without being required to spec out a custom model. I even designed a slotted headstock that can be built into a mold.

If you prefer to keep every nylon build as custom, I fully respect that, and you will probably be hearing from me in the not too distant future for a custom X10N. For now, my wooden crossover that I purchased specifically to experiment with, is good enough, and I'll keep sharing ideas on this forum to see if there actually is a common point of balance.

As a side note, your recent X20 12 string Ziricote with the natural black CF weave back and sides is the nicest looking guitar I have ever seen.