View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflected View Post
Oh ,sorry, I wasn't very clear:

I need any progression that can be played with relatively nice, and not so crooked twisted chords, that is a transposed version of Bm G D A
So that I can play it in any key without having to put the capo too high up.
You mean you want shapes for I-vi-IV-V chords in keys other than D?

The main problem is that open D is designed for playing in D major. It makes that key easier, and other keys harder. So you're fighting the tuning by trying to play in other keys.

Best way to open up your options is to look for shapes for I-vi-IV-V in close keys of G and A, which are only 1 note different from D.
Eg, say you wanted to play in key of C, but didn't want to put the capo right up on fret 10 (to let you do it with D-Bm-G-A shapes).
If you had I-vi-IV-V shapes for key of G (G-Em-C-D), you could use those with capo on 5 to get key of C.
Or I-vi-IV-V shapes for key of A (A-F#m-D-E) would give you key of C with capo on 3.

So - seeing as you already have G, D and A - you need shapes for Em, C, F#m and E to open up both options.
None of these are easy. Other than E (full barre on fret 2), all require muting one or more strings, either because no open strings are in the chord, or because (with F#m) you don't have enough fingers.
One possible F#m with no muting is:
-4-
-0-
-3-
-4-
-0-
-4-
but it has no C#, and that low A is unsatisfactory IMO.
The only option for C is the one stanron gave.
Otherwise, your best bet (and it's the strategy most open tuning players use) is to live with open strings providing interesting added notes:

Key "G")
G = 5-5-0-5-5-0
Gadd9= 5-5-0-5-0-0
Gmaj9 = 5-5-0-0-0-0, or 5-5-4-0-0-0
Cadd9 = x-3-2-1-3-0
C69 = x-3-2-1-0-0
Em7 = 2-2-0-1-2-0

Key "A"
A = x-0-2-3-4-2
A6 = x-0-2-0-0-2
Amaj7 = x-0-2-2-4-2, or x-0-2-2-0-2
E7 = 2-2-0-2-2-0
E7sus4 = 2-2-0-3-0-0
F#mb6 = 4-4-4-3-0-0

PS: you might have better luck with DADGAD - much more flexible.