View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Perhaps I can help. I wrote up a beginner's guide to electric guitars that is on my site, HERE. See if that gives you any ideas. There's also a quick comparison, HERE.

Bob
Thanks, this and all the other info is very helpful. Obviously I'll have to get out and try different guitars, but knowledge is always helpful.

Where does the Gibson SG fit into this spectrum? I realize one of the most well-knownt players is Angus Young and I gave AC/DC as an example of the opposite tone I'm inclined towards, but these have also been played by more melodic players (a lot of my favorite Jerry Garcia playing came from an SG or others before his famous customs; Allman brothers/Derek Trucks). Also recognizing iconic players can get certain tones out of all sorts of guitars and have far different rigs, though Derek Trucks is light on effects.

Additionally, I've read that the Fender Thinline Tele produces a 'rich and vibrant sound unplugged.' I'm actually trying to avoid too much unplugged volume, is this (or other semi-hollow) unplugged volume still much less than say a Martin dread lightly played with a pick?

Lastly, I realize that most standard Fenders are more susceptible to feedback and EMI compared to a Les Paul with humbeckers. Is this only a concern on stage, or are Fedners also prone to hum at home from dimmer lights, wifi etc.?