View Single Post
Old 08-24-2016, 06:24 PM

I won't win a contest involving record sales, but this is a live acoustic band that would absolutely smoke.

Aoife O'Donovan: Lead vocals. If you haven't heard her sing, listen to Crooked Still.

Tony Rice: Acoustic guitar and vocals. When Tony Rice was in his prime, his lead work, rhythm work and vocals were simply the best in bluegrass.

Chris Thile: Mandolin and vocals. The preeminent mandolin player of my generation and a true prodigy.

Edgar Meyer Double bass. A musician's musician who composes and performs on double bass in a variety of genres.

Julian Lage: Guitar. I put a lot of thought into my fifth draft choice; I considered a variety of potential musicians on a variety of instruments including Bela Fleck on banjo, Mark O'Connor on fiddle and guitar (not simultaneously), Nat Smith or Rashad Eggleston on cello, but ultimately went with Lage because one, this is a guitar forum, two having two guitarists allows for more accompaniment (when one guitar is soloing, there is still a rhythm guitar) and three, Lage has played with Thile and they sound great together.

This would be my dream alt bluegrass lineup.