View Single Post
Old 08-24-2016, 04:40 PM

Default Hypothetical 5 piece band

If you could pull together a five piece band, and you had your choice of musicians and singers from all time, who would you choose? And why?
How about you? I hear you ask; Well, since you want to know:

1) Paul McCartney. He would play bass and sing. He would also have an active songwriting role ( excluding silly love songs ). I might let him play acoustic guitar sometimes, but I would be strict about when he's allowed to. On bass he has a blank cheque, but he has to use the Hofner.

2) Glen Campbell. Guitar and vocals. He is no songwriter so would be allowed nowhere near a pencil and paper. He would sing the lower vox and be complemented with Sir Paul's upper range. He could play acoustic whenever he wants, on condition that he drops the Ovations and switches to a half decent Gibson. I think a J 200 would suffice.

3) Drums are a tough one to decide ( after all they are ten- a- penny ) So it has to come down to personality, and the ability to fit in. So I choose Keith Moon. Minus the headphones and nudity. I like a percussionist to be humble and know his/her place; But they also have to hold influence and instinctively know the right tempo and ambience of a song.

4) Steve Winwood. For his keys ability mainly, and songwriting skills, but also as a guitar player and general all rounder. Modest and professional, he could easily hold his own in this ensemble.

5) Amy Winehouse. Songwriting and vocal skills. Feminity is also required in this group. Not a mamby-pamby supermodel type of woman, but a real musician with youth and vigour. Someone to keep the ol' fella's in the band moving in the right direction. She would be allowed water and food only. No drugs, no alcohol, and she has to get lots of sleep.

If you can beat me in record sales and live audience, tell me your choice.