View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 08:06 AM

Willie Nelson does not play a classical guitar. Willie Nelson plays a Martin N-20 which is a nylon string "folk" guitar as was original intended and advertised by Martin.

I think we need to define a "folk" guitar and a "classical" guitar.

Classical guitars are indeed nylon strung. It is the dimensions and internal bracing that hair splittingly defines it as a classical. Most nylon strung guitars are classical, exception would be flamenco with a lighter buikld and lower action.. and the "folk" guitar.

Folk guitars gets a little tougher to define.. could be steel string , could be
nylon. Generally speaking, the "folk" guitars have smaller bodies.. classical sized and smaller. The dimensions can be different than classicals. Some have a narrower nut width, some have different scale lengths , most are braced differently than a classical and .. some can be steel strung.

Examoles of nylon folk guitars would be the Martin N-20, N-10 and any of their nylon strung guitars without a "C" in the model.

Examples of what some would call Martin steel string "folk" guitar would be
the New Yorker.

Aside from all that... steel and nylon have been used for "folk" music. Look at Peter Paul and Mary as an example. They used both.

"Folk" muisc can be and has been played on steel and nylon.

Classical is rarely played on steel strings, though has been done.

As a practical matter, I would use a classical guitar for "folk" and were I to have only one guitar, it would be a classical or flamenco. I have gone years with only a nylon strung guitar.

You can play anything on a classical guitar. If in doubt, get a classical.