View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
So, what I'm finding is that I'm hearing every single little imperfection. I'm catching my arm moving on the guitar, the squeaking of the chair, and even the air condition when it kicks on. It's distracting, and the room is actually VERY quiet or so I thought.

I'm thinking now about maybe getting something like a Zoom H2N...
Those "imperfections" exist and aren't going to be eliminated by buying a Zoom H2N. Some suggestions for minimizing the problems:
  • Sound of your arm moving - stop moving your arm so much. Also, put the mic in cardioid mode and reposition it so you're getting less arm noise.
  • Squeaking chair - use a chair that doesn't squeak.
  • A/C noise - when you're recording, turn the a/c up or down so it's either running or not running while you're recording. The sound of it turning on or off is going to be more noticeable than it running the entire time.

You might also reconsider your expectations. You're not in a studio environment. If you're expecting studio quality recordings you're going to be disappointed. You're creating memories for yourself and your daughter. No one that listens for that purpose is going to criticize the imperfections. What you're creating is akin to a photograph taken with a cheap camera. It's not about the quality of the picture; it's about the quality of the memory. So whether you use the Yeti or the H2N, focus on what's important and just go make those memories.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube