View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
Dru,

I personally think what you are hearing is the difference between lower and higher output pickups into your amp. The pickups you say sound great are lower output, "vintage-like " pickups and the ones you say do not sound good are high output "modern-like" pickups. Lower output pickups will not hit your preamp tubes as hard as higher output. Hard hit preamp tubes result in preamp distortion which tends to be thin an "fizzy", especially with 12ax7 preamp tubes. Lower output pickups are softer on the amps preamp allowing for power tube distortion which is rich and thick. That is why I use low output pickups and prefer EF86 preamps.
I was hoping you'd chime in Russ - thanks. Yep, I'm aware of the output of the pickups and I have no intention of using the Super Distortion through the Vintage Modern, other than a test.

Interesting about the EF86 tube. I recall reading about it here on the AGF so I'm assuming it was you and you may have an amp with them? I enjoy the 12ax7s though, although I must admit I've never tried the EF86.