View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco7 View Post
Hello acoustic fellas,

I'm headed towards a new chapter of my guitar journey: Minor Modes and Chords. I love the minor sounding tunes like "summertime", "autumn leaves" and i would like to learn some minor mode related music theory. Does anybody know of some "proper" books with good explanation of the minor modes? Subjects like minor Scales harmonization, chord progressions and cadences would be very interesting. Any suggestion is welcome.

Many thanks and have a nice day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FwL View Post
People play that tune in all sorts of imaginative ways, but as originally written the chord progression alternates between Bm6 and C#m6 for the i and ii chords during the first part of each verse.

Then Em7- E7 - G - Em7 - B7b13 - F#7 - C#7#9 - F - C#11 - C7#11 for the 1st and 3rd turnaround

And Bm11 - E5(#11) - D - E - A11 [A(add9)sus] - Bm - E7 - E7b5 for the 2nd turnaround

And Bm11 - E5(#11) - D - E - A11 [A(add9)sus] - D - G9 - C - F13 - Bm for the ending.

As you know, most people transpose the tune down to A minor and Gershwin did the same when the tune shows up a second time in the original opera.

Answering my own post for the OP.

How's your chord theory? Are you able to understand what those chord symbols mean and how each turnaround is basically a series of II7-V7 chords leading back to the minor tonic chord?

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources

Last edited by FwL; 01-02-2017 at 10:18 AM. Reason: why not?