View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi RR...

Some essential gear not discussed at length in this thread thus far are a humidifier to keep the humidity sufficiently high inside the case, and a hygrometer to measure it to know when to add or remove the humidifier inside the case.

We have lived in Wyoming just 80 miles North of Denver for 38 years (and are drier than Denver). Without a hygrometer I'd never know what the humidity in the case is versus the room, or the out of doors. We travel about ⅓ of the time (we are retired) and my guitars have often gone from Wyoming's sub 20% humidity to Eastern Kansas and 65% in a day, and the answer to your question is nothing happened to the guitar.

I keep the case humidified any time the room drops below 35%, and I pull the humidifiers out of the case when it exceeds 50%.

I keep hygrometers in the room where I play, and the RV when we travel, and with me in the case when the guitar is out for extended periods (like at a music camp over a weekend). A simple under $10 electronic hygrometer gives near instant readings - it changes in under 5 minutes when I go from one environment to another.

Why are we even guessing when a hygrometer takes guessing out of the equation. We don't need museum level accuracy to let us know we are at the point the guitar would be better off in the case with the humidifier than just sitting out in a room. Guitars are not so delicate nor fragile that they live on the edge of destruction because we travel.

Here in the Chicago area, we're lucky. We have WGN-TV with Tom Skilling as our weather guy. He's always preaching about the low humidity levels during the winter months. I don't use a hydrometer. I use the the Tom Skilling weather app on my phone. HA !!!