View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Doug, I remember years ago your telling me about a conversation with Joe Weed http://www.joeweed.com/studiopages/highlandstudio.htm where he said recording quality was something like 90 percent performance, 5 percent mic placement, 3 percent instrument, and 2 percent everything else (mic choice, preamps, a/d converters, etc. etc.)

The trouble with your demos is that the 90 percent is so darned good the rest doesn't matter, at least as long as the mics are pointed at the guitar.

Fran
Hi Fran
I've seen you at Healdsburg with a DSLR and know your love and appreciation for quality.

I shot portraits for $$$ for over 40 years, and know that there are times when my wife & I are being tourists, or I'm just running around and find an interesting subject, and I don't have my 'best' gear along, so I end up shooting with my iPhone instead of the 5DMk3.

I definitely see differences in the resolution, color rendition, noise, balance and speed of these cameras in the edited pictures. But my wife and friends don't (and don't want to). They just look at the pictures.

Same with recording, I've recorded things with a Zoom H2 or H4 (the originals) which I can certainly hear the differences between them and my 'studio-gear', but my wife and friends don't/can't (and don't want to). Not everything I record is aimed at marketing it on iTunes.

Sometimes I like the spontaneous pictures better than those shot in my studio. Sometimes I like spontaneous recordings better than those I've recorded in studio. And when I'm showing a friend/student licks, point-n-shoot recorders are way more handy than going down to the basement and firing up the studio.

My 40 yrs of experience with serious cameras makes a difference on how I use my iPhone…so I get better than average pictures. In the same way, I'm sure my years of owning/operating a recording studio with serious gear affects how we (and Doug and others) use point-n-shoot recorders.

The results aren't hit-or-miss they are predictable.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…