View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 11:59 PM

A classical guitar is a nylon string guitar and a "folk" guitar is a steel string guitar. The difference in sound is astronomical. The folk guitar will be considerably more versatile, but the nylon string guitar is easier to fret (mash the strings down on the neck.) The steel string guitar will have a more full sound with plenty of high end, whereas the classical will be lean much more to a mid-range sound. In terms of sound, the folk is better, but you will have to deal with sore fingers.
As far as the sound being messed up playing classical music on a steel string, I don't see it as a problem. Both guitars are tuned the same and switching between one or the other is not a big task, once you have picked up some skills.
The choice is ultimately yours. I would go play around with both at a local store and decide for yourself. That would be my best advice. I will say this though....... once you start learning chords, the sound will probably be more gratifying coming out of the folk guitar, so that would be my suggestion if you just want my unimportant opinion.

Bryant