Thread: Pet Peeve.
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Youtube can be a wonderful place to find information and music. However, it can also be a real "sink hole". To me purchasing a course of study that focuses on what I want to learn is far better than spending on time on Youtube videos that may or may not teach that skill, and usually not in the depth to the point that real learning takes place. Clearly there are exceptions. Is always seems to be the case, some folks are simply better at teaching than others, and also there is the problem of matching teaching style to learning style.

With purchased courses, we have the same problem of finding one that is suitable for our specific needs. I find that after reading folks' posts in forums for a while, I can determine who has similar needs/tastes as mine, and then will pay attention when these folks recommend a course.

Many of us tend to collect books and courses over the years, and find that some are better at a given point in time for us than others, but that at another time, another of these courses or books may be more suitable. It all seems to be a moving target.

With so much information available these days, it can be difficult to focus on any one thing, or even to pick the thing that is uniquely "right" for us. I really wish there was some sort of apprenticeship I could find with a true master of my musical interests. That would require deep, long term commitment on the part of both the teacher and student. Our culture does not really promote that sort of thing. So we end up trying our best to pick this and that from all the stuff floating around out there.

Good luck...

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...