View Single Post
Old 12-26-2016, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha Friends,

Howzit Kevwind! Thanks for sharing the mic. But....a Chilean U-87 clone? Really? How close can that really be to an original U87. Doesn't the under $1k price just scream, "B-S?" Without even hearing it?

PS: I don't think you'll be swapping out your nice Brauner VMA LDC for this Chilean U87 clone anytime soon, right Kev? -alohachris-
I don't think anybody is going to think it will sound just like the original/s . What the company does is look at original design specks and tries to stay as close to original design theory but use modern components that are the closest match. The components he is listing are said to be pretty decent components, so I am guessing ( purely guessing) most of the price brake is in the labor. The link has some interesting reading .
You make a good point about which U87 ? because there is indeed some difference between the vintage and modern U87Ai's Another notion that I think came up in one of threads over on GS was the two transformer options with perhaps addressing that to some extent. The Cinemag, being a bit brighter and perhaps closer the kind of sound from a 87 Ai and Sowter, being a bit darker and perhaps more like the vintage 87's, but as you say one must get it their studio to hear what is going on .

And that is correct since I have my Brauner Phantom V, (not VMA) I am covered on a good FET so no I would not be swapping for this mic or a U87 for that matter . But if I were in market I could be tempted to give this mic a try.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-26-2016 at 04:57 PM.