View Single Post
Old 08-20-2016, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Julian Gaffney OMC Adi/Brw Build Thread

I'm very excited to share with you my upcoming custom build guitar by Julian Gaffney. Julian is a current apprentice of Ervin Somogyi and will complete his training with Ervin in a few months. More information about Julian Gaffney and his guitars can be found here: http://www.juliangaffneyguitars.com/.

A couple of years ago, I had an opportunity to play a Somogyi OM guitar and would love to take it home with me. However, it was out of my price range. So, this lead me to do my research and came across the work of Julian Gaffney. After looking at a few of his completed guitars and listening to his youtube videos, I really liked the esthetics and the sound of Julian's guitars. So I contacted Julian, and it became clear to me that Julian is an extremely nice guy who wants to build the best instruments for his clients. I have complete confident in him to build me the guitar of my dream. So, I took the plunge and placed my deposit. After waiting for 1 year, Julian has started to build my guitar a few weeks ago.

Here are the specs:

Body size: OM with a cutaway
Top: Adirondack
Back and sides: Brazilian Rosewood
Nut width: 1 3/4''
String spacing: 2 1/4''
Fingerboard radius: 15''. This radius is different from Julian standard radius which is a compound radius (I forgot what it is but it's flatter, maybe 16''-20''?)
Scale length: 25''
Fingerboard and bridge: Ebony
Finish: Maybe French Polish (I'm still debating between French Polish or Nitrocellulose)
Case: Hoffee

Here are pictures of the build so far:

BRW back and sides

Rosette