View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
the neck on the mahalo is pretty wide - as i recall, 1.8" at the nut - so good for those with larger paws or who are just used to wider necks.
A wider nut is nice, but there is a second problem: on short-scale fretted instruments like this, the frets get very close together as you go up the neck. So close that the big fingers on those big paws can no longer be crammed into the available space! Obviously, this issue is at its worst when trying to play chords that require multiple fingers squeezed closely together.

I've always had a soft spot for the sound of a mandolin, but I'm one of those big-pawed, big-fingered people and I doubt my fingers would cooperate with the skinny neck and tight fret spacing of a mandolin.

Truth to tell, regular six-string guitars are already a tight fit for me. My fingers are big enough to stick between the two adjacent black keys of a keyboard. And I play electric bass guitars using one fret per finger even down low near the nut - even on my 35" scale Yamaha RBX 774, though that one is a bit of a stretch!

-Gnobuddy