View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Welcome aboard, Osage. Yes, the "inexpensive CF guitar" questions comes up from time to time here... but, the price of entry (not to be confused with entry level) seems to be around $1,000 with the Emerald X7 or the Journey OF660.

I did notice your "center sound hole" comment (since both of the recommendations above have off-set sound holes), and I'm inclined to say that I felt the say way about the off-center sound holes a few years ago. Actually owning one changed my perspective like flipping a light switch - they make quite a difference in the playing experience.

Emerald X7s do come up used on rare occasions. Other than the off-set sound hole, it is exactly what you are describing: parlor size, good sound, impervious to the humidity changes... and it has a 1 3/4" nut with a 24" scale, so it doesn't feel small. It is also the most comfortable guitar I have owned/played (and I've been playing for over 50 years). I was never a "couch player" until I got the X7 - it changed my mind on a lot of my traditional concepts.

Good luck with the search - if you find any way to stretch your budget, I think you would find an X7 would fit your needs and not be just for "the dry season."

In case I didn't mention it: love that off-set sound hole! It adds to the nicely balanced sound.