View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 10:45 PM

I get what you're saying, but what I was taught was in order to get a good mix, you strive to get the very best sounding recording you can to start out with. So my thinking is if I can eliminate some of the peaks and valleys up front, I'll have a smooth recording to work with when I get to the mixing stage. Even A.R.T. recommends this chain...mic > pre-amp > compressor > DAW.

In my case, my studio is just for me so I can set it and forget it as the settings should remain constant for me between songs. If I was working with multiple players or singers then yes adding compression later would make sense. Or if I was going to change my mic positions between recordings then yes, compress later....but what I'm trying to set up is a basic layout of mics and settings on the pre-amp and compressor, and just leave it. Just come in, turn it on, and let it roll.

I have plenty of software compressor plugins available that I can add later if need be.

Now when it comes to EQ that's a different story, I'd be inclined to do that later in the mix, if at all.

Thanks much for your input !!!!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M