View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I grabbed one of the 1st batch, and I know a few others who also got them, so we've been comparing notes. These are very well done, and quite a deal if you're wanting to try out a harp guitar. You can see Stephen Bennett playing one of them on various You Tube demos. If he's happy, they're good enough! The main question is just whether you want to invest the effort in learning a somewhat different instrument. So far, I'm finding it a bit challenging - lots of strings to keep track of! - yet easier than I expected. The sound is very cool, and the overall playability of the instrument, aside from the new challenge of the harp strings, is very good, much more than you'd expect for the price.
Hmmm, it sounds like you have to use the same mindset you use for playing a 7 or 8-string guitar, with regards to using the extra strings on a harp guitar. I've been playing 7-string electric guitars for about a year, and have dabbled in playing 8-string electrics. It sounds like the harp guitar would be similar in many ways playing-wise. My main issue is that like an 8-string, I really don't know how much use application-wise I'd get out of a harp guitar. They're tempting at the price Holloway charges, but I'd hate to even spend that much money, just to wind up with a one-trick pony guitar (which is one of my main reasons for not getting an 8-string electric - I know more than a few players on the 7-string guitar forum, who sold their 8-strings, because, they felt that the 8-stringers didn't fit into their musical style). I'll need to do some more thinking, and hopefully (although it's not very likely) get a chance to play a harp guitar.

Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 12-30-2010 at 10:12 AM.