View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillhouse View Post
Is this common among most guitar players or is it something that is seen mostly with high end owners? Reason I ask is because I've been playing guitar for over a decade and have many guitar playing friends and I've never heard anyone talk about this other than online. I've kept acoustics hanging on the wall, on floor stands, and (currently) in cases in my closet and never had an issue with any of them. I'm not doubting that there is good reason for keeping the humidity at a certain level but just don't personally have any experience with it and wonder if this is something I need to worry about in the future.
Most of the guitars i set up, the owners say something like this.
" I've never done anything about humidity and always leave my guitars out on stands, why is now that the action is really high".

In oz on the coast especially, we have pretty high humidity with the exception of winter.

Wood soaks up the moister in the air just like it dries out when there is very little moister in the air.

I tell most of the guys i repair guitar for, to buy a hygrometer and see what the humidity level is where they keep their guitars.

If it's somewhere between 40 and 60 % they don't have too much to worry about.
1995 Gibson J 35 Ltd No 7 of 250
1958 Gibson L48
1955 Gibson ES125