View Single Post
Old 04-29-2005, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William63
Before I ever owned a high end guitar, I never cared what the tonewood was, or if it was solid or laminate. Now, as I am becoming knowledgeable about the various tonewoods, there seems to be the attitude that solid wood back and sides are superior to a laminate.

But I'm questioning that theory. My friend owns a Seagull with a cedar top and laminate wild cherry back and sides. In tone and volume that relatively inexpensive guitar rivals my expensive Guild JF55 jumbo in both tone and volume.

Any thoughts?
Your question is subjective with no right or wrong answer. However, most people do claim to hear a difference between laminate guitars (body only lam, and body and top lam). I know I hear a significant difference.

I have owned several Seagulls and compared them to the one I have now. The one I have now definately sounded better than the Seagulls I no longer own. This remaining one I have now is a Seagull M6 Gloss (solid spruce top with lam sapele body). It does not sound as good as any of the solid guitars I own (sold top and sold body) such as Taylors 314ce, 414rce, 710, or Martin D-35 or Collings D2H. The Seagull has a very good sound for the price, but it does not come close to measuring up to my solid body guitars. And, as said, none of the others I owned did either.

For me, the development of my ears occured over years of playing. I did not hear the difference between solid and lam guitars during the first 2 years of my playing so I keep my cheap lam. It took time to really appreciate the difference. My attitude was and is, "if I can't hear or feel an improved difference, then I will not pay more for something just to "keep up with the Joneses" or "be cool." Becuase I can't hear a difference does not mean that there is no difference. It just means 1) there MAY be no difference or 2)there is no difference - and 3) I can't tell which.

Which sounds better? Only you can tell for yourself. Which is less expensive? Everybody knows that objective answer. Why pay more for something if you do not experience an improvement?