View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmapags View Post
Another thread got me thinking about neck profile and how best to determine the best one for you..

Is there some objective approach to neck profile?

Mike
I am wondering if you are talking about "playability" rather than just one factor of playability, neck profile.

As has been said already, there are a truly a boatload of factors that go into guitar neck comfort, or playability. Howard has raised some factors that I had not considered before. And, while I agree that trying lots of different types is probably the only way to know if you are going to like one or another, in a case where you are going to have to spec one for a custom build, I think it could be helpful to know what some of the factors are so that you can put a name to what you like or don't like.

In terms of neck profile, there are several generally recognized shapes. The V shape, the C shape, and the D shape that is typical on classical guitars. Then of course you have variants of these shapes, the modified V, the soft V, the shallow C, and now, some builders are using offset profiles either to the bass or treble side. Another factor is the thickness of the neck, the distance from the top of the fretboard to the bottom of the neck. Then there are shoulders, beefy or slim. And, of course, fretboard radius or radii. All these factors could be grouped under the "neck profile" umbrella, and, as I said, neck profile is just one of many factors that contribute to playability.

Scale length often gets overlooked. The longer the scale, the farther apart the frets are going to be thus increasing the reach needed to make exotic chords.

I am guessing that most luthiers can and will produce any dimensions you want. So, as Howard has said, play lots of guitars with an awareness of things like string spacing both at the nut and at the bridge, and fret design etc. until you get to a point that you can have an informed conversation with your builder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

Since then, I've adjusted my posture and hand position to accommodate it, and in the process my fingering technique has grown, and now I play it without thinking about what size or shape the neck is.
My Uncle used to say, "Son, you can get used to anything. You can get used to hanging if you hang long enough". I think this is true. But, again, if you are now needing to spec playability factors for your dream guitar, you might want to spend some time educating yourself. Besides, being obsessive about these details is part of the fun of being an acoustic guitar nutcase.
LC

Last edited by El Conquistador; 09-30-2008 at 10:16 AM.