View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
I am considering a new pickup system ..
Can I get a little guidance here?

I have a '95 Gibson J-35 Limited Edition coming (yay )
This particular model did not come with a pickup, So I want to add one for using live.

I have heard great things about the Amulet...
Thanks for this Thread!

Questions..

1) Would the TA Amulet be good for an already mid-range heavy guitar?
(Would another brand be better in this situation)... Or just rely on outboard EQ

2) Is it worth the extra few bucks for volume and tone controls.. My other guitar J45 has a Highlander ip-2. Which I think works great. (No volume control). So I won't miss it.

But does the TA work better with having these controls. (Like an electric pickup where you "ride" the volume or tone knob for effect).

3) Are their any forum sponsors that offer discounts on these ?

4) Any recommendations for installation in RDU area in NC?
Gibson put Trance Amulet M and Trance Amulet Stereo systems in several models of their guitars, e.g., Sheryl Crow and Jackson Browne, and maybe still do. If you have a Gibson dealer near you, they may have one of these models in stock that you can audition. Frankly, although I like Trance systems, and have recommended them to AGFers, the systems seem to be the bane of some who install them. Suggestion: just install a K&K Pure Mini and use a good preamp and don't worry about trying to extract every last ounce of good amplified acoustic tone from your guitar. If you could send your guitar to Gary Hull at Trance Audio for an installation, then I would say do the Trance system. I'm not sure Gary still does this service but he's done it for the named artists above and I think some regular players too.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 12-16-2017 at 12:34 PM.