View Single Post
Old 09-09-2017, 06:50 PM

Thanks again for the looks and the comments everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
I've played fingerstyle guitar for 50 years (boy, hard to believe) but boy, using that pinky is a killer.

While I've only looked at the one counterpoint video, what I liked about it was that it wasn't stressing technique too much. When I attempted taking some on line Delcamp courses, there was so much emphasis on proper technique and an insistence on using only the rest stroke, that it was off-putting
I'll let you in on a secret: that rest-stroke business is not gospel anymore, and it hasn't been for several decades. Playing rest strokes to sustain a melody over top of an arpeggio pattern, as in Romanza, has fallen out of favor over the years.

Of course, one advange of rest strokes is that they're naturally louder, so the melody in this kind of pattern "automatically" jumps out at you. But generations of guitarists have found the technique awkward and unbalanced. Phrasing and fine control is so much more natural with free strokes in an arpeggio pattern like this. You just need to have enough dynamic control to bring out the notes you want.

For a lot of modern classical guitarists, the rest stroke is mostly reserved for single-note lines and accents. Using it in a tune like Romanza or, say, the Sor B-minor Etude, is rather old school based on my experience...