View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
just to add, antique electronics/amplified parts/tubesandmore has a 12% off on everything thru monday. i checked just one item to compare. the tubestore has jj el84 for $11.53 while antique has them for $8.79. shop each before you purchase. shipping charges from each may come into play also...
Good point - always comparison-shop, whatever the item purchased; that said, I wouldn't even mention JJ/EH/Sovtek/Groove Tubes/etc. in the same context as the Preferred Series EL84's - they really are that good and, like the US-equivalent JAN tubes, well worth the extra outlay. If you tend to think of EL84's as bright/chimey/bluesy/quick breakup, forget it: while these'll give you those classic Beatle tones they're more of the "NME '65" EL34 AC50/AC100 variety (if anyone here is looking to retube an AC30 they'd be my first choice) - and if you missed out on one of those mid-60's "big-tube" (usually 7027's) blue-check Ampeg guitar amps, a set of these and an efficient American-voiced speaker will provide comparable tone/headroom/output. Sometimes you actually do get what you pay for, and IME this is indeed one of those cases; quite frankly, with a finite supply I'll be squirreling away a few sets - had my eye on a Carvin V3MC for a while now, and four of these with an Eminence Swamp Thang should turn it into a 40-pound Twin-killer...