View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgagnon View Post
Delivery people (UPS, FedEx) no longer knock on the door or ring the bell. They just drop the package and bolt. Almost nightly on the news they report about packages being stolen. My chair is about 3 feet from the front door and I never know when a package is dropped off. It would only take them a second to press the doorbell. Is this now standard operating procedure?
1. time is money: the extra seconds to find and ring the doorbell add up when multiplied by the number of drivers making deliveries.
2. doorbell ringing, or door knocking is only useful when someone is at home at the time of the delivery. So it's not practical to make it SOP for all deliveries, IMO. (see #1)

A UPS driver comes to our facility every day, and rarely does he have even a minute to exchange pleasantries with the crew here if he expects to complete his route within the 8 hour work day.

If the OP lives in a crime-heavy neighborhood, there are alternatives to help increase security of packages left on the porch until the homeowner arrives home. Ship to the office where you work, if it isn't prohibited by company policy to receive personal items at work; ship to c/o general delivery at your local post office and pick it up there; direct the package to the rear entrance of the home where it is less likely to be seen as a temptation to steal.

my 3 cents.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE