View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 07:09 AM

Pretty much what Bruce said to a tee. People will always be absolutly amazed at your finished guitar regardless. Most of them seem to be amazed at how you can bend the sides and frankly that's one of the more easy things to do.

That's just building the thing, it's just a recipe you have to follow, a construction project. Most people can do it.

When you want to take it to the next level though then it becomes much more difficult and again some people have the natural talent like say someone born with the genetics to win the Tour De France. Some have it some don't but you can learn this stuff to. It takes a lot of iterations and a lot of failure and a lot of time.

I think it was Alan Carruth who said something like, "it's not rocket science, it's harder."

I myself don't think I have the natural talent for this but I still love doing it and I still can produce good enough sounding guitars. But when I look at some of the work that goes through the custom shop here I am truly humbled and understand that it's out of my league. That's mostly in looks of course but that's a very important part of building.

Sometimes you sill see someone post their first guitar too and it's truly outstanding looking and you know they are off to a good start. But to make a good guitar I would suggest to anyone that they should not expect it to be good till they are on their tenth guitar.