View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
You guys are great! I guess my cost would be $700 to $1200. I do agree with the "rabbit hole" comment. I started down when I went in to acoustics but quickly reminded myself "if u like what u got make it work" lol.I do notice how the strings are way on the light side. I toally agree with the comfort level. I know I would also like to be able to play finger style also. I flat pick also. I'm going to assume string spacing is different on electric as they are on acoustic? I have thought of semi hollow body as well as solid body. The hunt is on.
Perfect, this is really helpful. I'll assume you're willing to shop pre owned and you need an amp and pedals for that budget, so here goes a recommendation:

As folks have mentioned, you'll put your money into three essential categories: guitar, amp, pedals. You can get close with just guitar and amp, but the pedals will really dial in the tone you're looking for.

GUITAR: Preowned Paul Reed Smith or Semi Hollow Body. A PRS Santana Model is under $500 used. The best semi hollow on a budget is the Eastman T386, but if you can't stretch that, then grab an Ibanez or Epiphone within budget. The semi hollow will potentially feedback quicker, but they are a great transition guitar for an acoustic player and I LOVE their tone. f it were my money, I'd try to find an Eastman T386 or an Ibanez semi hollow.

AMP: honestly, almost any tube amp will do, but the Bugera V22 is a great amp for the money. Otherwise, a used Fender tube amp will do the trick.

PEDALS: You want a distortion pedal for sure. Boss DS1 or even the Big Muff is great to get you into Santana territory. Then add a compressor which will help with all that sustain (and cause some feedback with your guitar) and a delay pedal will make the sound bigger. Your local craigslist will likely have all these.

I buy almost all my gear used, you'll save a ton of money that way - cables and pedal boards etc all add up, but with your budget you can get a really nice rig. Enjoy!
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....

Last edited by stevecuss; 01-06-2018 at 06:38 PM.