View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
Hello folks. I have been playing acoustic guitar for around 12 years. I've been leaning towards purchasing an electric guitar. I like all types of music but tend to go for the "Carlos Santana sound". So basically looking for an all around good electric guitar. Any suggestion. would be greatly appreciated. I only keep one acoustic around the house and would only want one versatile electric.
G'day Marty,

You've already received some excellent advice. What budget range do you have in mind? Do you already have an amp?

Until then here is where I would start:

-- any decent electric with humbucker pickups (PRS, Les Paul, 335)

-- a small wattage all tube amp that has an overdrive channel/gain stage (if you have the coin, a Mesa Triple Rectifier will get you there, but it is not small wattage!)

-- a distortion pedal, a compressor pedal, a delay pedal.

that combination will get you into Santana category. His sound comes from the pickup style of his electric, his highly overdriven amp and a whole lot of watts and of course, his fingers. But Santana goes for that "very compressed, high gain, high sustain, thick" sound and the above package will get you there.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....