View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-vegas View Post
While I'm fine with the sound from my oval, I've heard better tone in other's recordings. Could be a lot in the players hand. My thought in auditioning an upgrade was to find an experienced player to play them for me as well as my playing them to see how they played and felt. I'm not sure I could finesse proper tone out of a Gilchrist right now. I think I would know if another mandolin played better tho.
I do like the sound of the oval's, but I like the look of the f holes better. Plus I'm usually playing it with 3 other guys cranked up at the same time, and the oval seemed quieter too.

I did play another guys f style Weber this past summer, and while I was strumming it I didn't care for it at all. But in his hands it sounded really good. So I suspect the problem is as much my poor technique as anything right now. I have a K&K picking installed in my The-Loar, and when I play plugged in it sounds good enough that I'd never need to upgrade. Unplugged is a different story, and most of the time I'm playing it unplugged.