Thread: tube question
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 03:07 PM

Default Tubes

There may be some difference between premium and the regular. I doubt if anyone can "hear" the difference. The tubes my be spot tested and one batch may have better specs than another.

In the audio range any 12ax7 will perform as well as any other. As they age and approach the end of their life you will hear a difference.

Some years ago I went all solid state and got rid of my tube amps.

I have serviced industrial electronics for 39 years some tube equipment early on. So I have a good working knowledge of electronics.

One of the amps was a old Fender Deluxe. I removed the tube chassis and replaced it with a Fender Sidekick 65 I cut down the chassis to fit in place of the old one. The result was from a distance it looked like a old deluxe.

I used it in a pit band for a variety show. After the show one night a "tube person" came up to me and said "nothing beats the sound of those old tube amps". I said no they don't. He couldn't hear that it was not tube but solid state neither could I or anyone else. So the observation in this case is if it looks like a tube amp then it sounds like a tube amp.

I now use a Loudbox Mini. The Sidekick got rebuilt again into a small light bass amp.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.