View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 03:41 PM

Hey Rosewood, don't feel bad about people who harp on you saying "it's all preference, and you should play them not ask opinions, I wouldn't buy a guitar based on opinions of others, etc..." Anyone on this forum who joined is obviously just as obsessed and passionate about guitars as the next. It's a big purchase, and it's a fun purchase and the research is what you do when you can't go out and play them, or you already have, and just want to deliberate more. A lot of times people will just ask to see if there are red-flag general consensuses and/or helpful considerations. We all love talking about guitars on here after all. ANYWAY, I think between the two it depends on what kind of sound or style you play. The Martin is the go to for that unmistakable woody, bright(yet dark), deep and brooding bass sound. I love Gibsons for the trebles which I think are warmer, more controlled and more focused than Martins. D18 has the classic old-time prewar boisterous sound---J35 is more balanced, focused, and sounds a bit more "refined", which can be good if it's what you're going for.