View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn0 View Post
Hi all,

I am new to playing the guitar and I'm about to invest in my very first one! I have small hands though, and I would like to know a good size neck for me. Is 2.0-2.5 inches pretty small for a neck? Any advice will do! Also...any suggestions for recommendations on brand or type would be great!

-jn0
Hi jn0...
First of all, pardon our being so rude and not welcoming you to the group! Welcome and your questions are most important around here. Please make yourself at home. Everybody here remembers when we started to play, and the questions we had...and lots of them!

In standard sized steel string guitars, the two neck widths are 1 11/16'' and 1 3/4'' (1 12/16'') even when the body sizes are smaller or larger. These two sizes are the common ones you will find without dropping down to child sized instruments. Two inches would be quite a bit wider (and is a normal size for nylon string guitars).

Two of my students have the smallest hands I've encountered in teaching for over 30 years, and one of them is probably my best student...certainly among my top 3. She is amazing, and plays a full 1 3/4'' neck without difficulty.

The profile of the neck (how thick it is) is just as important as the how wide it is. Do you have any friends who play who could go looking for guitars with you? Do you have local guitar stores?

Again, welcome to the group.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…