View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yard View Post
I personally think the frustration is part of a process. And also I think that so called perfectly perfect person model is really far from being a songwriter. Just think about personal lives of many good songwirters out there and any creative writers for that matter. The alcohol and drugs are not just an industry cliche - there's a reason behind it.
I disagree with this entirely. Are you saying healthy people can't write good music? Can't express themselves creatively? Can't express themselves emotionally?

If anything, drugs and alcohol bottles up the emotions so much, that it's not being expressed, and therefore, they probably have more emotion to express if they weren't on the drugs or alcohol.

Look at other activities - are you saying you need to drink alcohol and do drugs to be a creative software develop? A creative teacher? A creative athlete? Why is music any different? IT'S NOT!

And frustration (or any negative emotion) over anything is NOT a healthy process towards ANYTHING.

Why do some people get road rage when others don't?

Why do some people deal with rejection like it doesn't matter while others won't even approach someone because the anger, sadness, or humiliation is so terrible?

Why do some people have sex with tons of people and feel no shame at all (one extreme) while others only have sex with one person in their entire lifetime or don't have sex at all (the other extreme)?

All these problems are negative emotions getting in the way of emotional clarity and freedom.

Quote:
The frustration comes from being extremely critical to yourself.
Exactly. I agree with you. And believe it or not - there are people in the world that just don't have this problem. This is NOT healthy behaviour.

More than just being overly critical, it's feelings of not being good enough, not feeling accepted unless you're perfect, feelings of being inadequate, etc.

Would it not make sense to heal the underlying pain and trauma that created these negative beliefs in the first place rather than "pretend it doesn't exist" or "just fight through it, because that's what I'm supposed to do" ?

I can tell you from personal experience, having grown up in an extreme abusive home that getting rid of these kinds of negative beliefs has made me more creative, more productive, and an all around BETTER human being. No area has sacrificed.

Quote:
I think you have to be persistent and accept the frustration.
You might *think* this, but it is not true. Again, you (and tons of other people) have learned the wrong information. You don't have accept and live with the frustration. You can get rid of the core of it for good. Maybe nobody taught you and Ken C this - so I'm telling you now.

Peace.

My Music:
http://www.soundclick.com/KenEgervari