View Single Post
Old 12-11-2016, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
It is the first millisecond or two of string vibration (perhaps even before you consciously hear anything) that sets up the harmonic content the string will produce as it continues to sound, and thus it is critical to tone. That first millisecond or two is determined by where and how the the finger tip leaves the string. With fingernails, since most tend to curve towards the palm, a slight backward bend of the end joint of the finger tends to smooth out the sound, and that backward bend tends to happen more with rest strokes than free strokes.
I don't get this personally. The angle of the end of the finger can't have any impact. It only affects the direction of string movement. The nail is going to slide off the string the same way.

The curve of the fingernail toward the palm is supposed to be eliminated by filing the nail to remove any "hook" effect caused by a curve in that direction - precisely so that it can't catch on the string, and will simply slide off, the tip releasing the string. IOW, the shape of the fingernail might make a difference to how the string sounds (although it's still hard to see how), but the same shape fingernail will produce the same affect whichever direction it leaves the string.

Even so, I can hear for myself that a rest stroke sounds different from a free stroke (same string, same fingernail), and I'll admit I can't yet understand why. IOW, your explanation makes no sense to me, but I can't think of one that makes more sense!