View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

...i've been playing Princetons for years and they're definitely one of my faves...the difference between a 12inch speaker and a 10 inch in speaker in a Princeton is significant....the obvious fact is that you can hit them with more power and they'll hold up better...i like a Celestion 12 inch gold in a Princeton...it retains most of a Princetons tone but is significantly more robust and is able to handle boost and dirt pedals at higher volume levels...makes it more "giggable" for me....

...there is an added bonus to the 12 inch speaker...it makes the amp sound much fuller at really low volume....which is what i do most of my playing at...as far as the different model currently available it comes down to the 65 and 68 for me...i did an extended comparison between the two and found a couple of significant diffrences....the 65 is cleaner and more clear sounding...more hi-fi to my ears....the 68 is warmer and grittier and definitely noisier...and less attractive for my tastes...i prefer the blackface cosmetics....in summary...if i'm wanting a better sounding breakup i like the 68...for cleaner tone i'll take the 65...but i'll take a 12 inch speaker in either...