View Single Post
Old 12-25-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradfie View Post
OP here.

Wow. Some very interesting responses on this thread. thanks.

So let's take it one step further.

I want an electric. I plan on playing it through my acoustic amp (Fishman Loudbox Artist). I don't really know what tone I want, I'm just starting the journey. The number one thing I think I want is play-ability, this coming from an acoustic player. Nut can't be super narrow. Light is important to me. Body shape should be somewhat traditional, no flying V. Simple is good. I don't want too many knobs and buttons choices to confuse. Most of music will be mostly classic rock, country rock, pop, but I play a little of everything. Budget is about $1000.

I realize I will need some type of pedal or simple modeler to get the electric tone through my acoustic amp, so suggestions on a simple solution here are appreciated as well.

Bottom line, keep it simple, but good enough for a person who does appreciate quality.

Bling is not important. I don't care about looks, color, fancy woods, etc. Just simple quality play-ability and tone.

Initial thoughts were some type of telecaster, or maybe an SG, or maybe a Reverend. I live close to Wildwood Guitars in Louisville CO. So I can go play a number of these once I get the list narrowed down. I'm guessing that I won't be able to tell much about tone, but I could get some ideas about feel.

Thanks,
I agree with your thoughts on playability. My most used electrics are the ones that are the most comfortable to play. They are Epiphones with a 1 11/16" neck and the same neck profile as my most frequently played acoustic. My left hand can't tell which neck it's holding. I have a big name guitar but it's not getting the playing time.

An early decision needs to be about preferred sound. Single-coil vs humbucker or deciding you don't care. Check out some of your favorite artists and see what they are using.

I went with a modeling amp so I could try different effects. I'm glad I did. I can hear a song I like the tone on and experiment with the different effects until I figure out how they did it. A lot of the time I find a similar sound in one of the presets. Then I can see what effects were used. My tastes are still developing so I don't want to buy a bunch of pedals I might not like in a year. Since you have an amp, consider a multi-effects pedal. There are a lot of multi-effects pedals at all prices from the high-end ones used by pros who need to get a specific sound for one song to cheaper ones suitable for experimenting. I suggest getting one with as many knobs and buttons as possible. That will reduce the amount of time spent deep diving in the menus. That is my only complaint with the modeling amp.

I have been taking some lessons recently and they have made a huge difference in how good I sound. The most important thing I learned coming from an acoustic is that I need to be able to dampen any string I don't want sounding. The pickups on an electric are so sensitive I was getting a lot of unwanted noise. The rest of my skills transferred just fine.