View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 05:36 AM

Another angle is that 12-fret guitars are much older designs from the transitional period between catgut and steel strings. When catgut ruled the guitar world, 12 fret guitars were the norm. Martin's 0 size, now considered a tiny thing, was the largest size offered for many years.

In the early 20th century players needed their guitars to be louder and not be drowned out by banjos, orchestras and other instruments. Soon steel strings, bigger body sizes, longer 25.4" scales, slimmer necks and 14-fret necks became the norm. But to get that 14-fret neck to fit, Martin had to change the body shape a bit. This without question re-voiced the guitar. In the case of Martins it worked wonderfully, with the new body shape of the OM 14-fretters imparting what many players consider a perfectly balanced tone.

Meanwhile the more old-fashioned 12-fret guitars sound great in their own right due to that longer body and bridge position being located where the soundboard is widest (it's generally closer to the sound hole on a 14-fret guitar). They are less versatile for many players but the rich, buttery, echo chamber of tone they produce is highly soothing and also the physical attributes are just gorgeous.

I love them both. The 14-fret OM-28V is my go-to guitar but I also love to break out my Recording King ROS-626 which i think of as the poor mans 000-18VS.