View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 09:02 AM

Bohemian,

funny you should ask. I've been thinking of writing a long post on the advantages of the dobro over the lap steel. I've definitely come to the conclusion that for me, the Dobro is the more interesting instrument.

While there are innovative things being done on the lap steel, I find in general, those interested in lap steel are more focused on the past than dobro players, which results in endless versions of sleepwalk. Dobro players also have the advantage of not having to go through the sturm und drang of picking the number of strings, the tuning, etc. In the end lap is often limited to western swing, hawaiian, and some sacred steel, but very little innovation going on. With Dobro, I feel the opposite: there seems to be constant innovation, blending of genres.

In the end I just preferred an acoustic instrument. One I could play anywhere without having to worry about amps and effects.

Also: I'm compelled to practice dobro, while lap practice was often a chore. With dobro, I can't wait to get to my practice time.