View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 10:53 AM

Default Taylors good for fingerstyle?

I'm certainly no diehard "Taylor guy", but I did work up sufficient interest in the GA8 some months ago to put in an order with Jim at Guitar Rodeo for one with a shorter scale neck (and a snazzy tobacco burst!). Over the last month or so I've found this to be a really excellent guitar for my needs, and I'm wondering if perhaps other models by Taylor tend to suit fingerpickers like me. The thing is, the trademark "brightness", seen as a negative by many AGFers, I find to be an advantage with my brand of fingerpad + nail picking. What I find is that guitars tending towards a darker tone can sound a bit dull in my hands. In fact, I went through a few Martins that were fine-sounding with a pick but which didn't cut it with my fingerpicking. The 12-fret 000-18GE I eventually settled on is perfect, but so is this GA8 - clear, ringing, and very rich-sounding.

This is probably inviting overgeneralizations, but does anyone else find that as a result of their bright sound, Taylors may be particularly well-suited to fingerstyle?