View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 10:31 AM

More expensive? Really? Hm. I wouldn't have guessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Ficht...

As with any tone wood I look to the builder to be able to tell me what he/she can extract from particular woods, and every guitar I had built this was the heart-and-soul of my choice of back/side woods and top woods.

I may be unusual, but I have a goal in mind for the tone of a guitar, and function it plays in my 'herd' and looks and intrigue are last on my list. I discovered early on I'm the one who sees the back/sides and that's mostly removing it from the case (or putting it away). But everyone I play for hears this thing.

The question should probably be discussed with Mr. Lowden...or whomever else you are considering have build one for you...otherwise it seems like luck-o-the-draw to me.

Well, Lowden's favorite wood seems to be walnut so hopefully he could draw the most out of it. That's a good piece of wisdom though-about everyone hearing it but only you seeing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Where did you get the idea that cedar is the overwhelming choice for fingerstyle? I play nothing but fingerstyle, have half a dozen nice guitars, and none of them are cedar. In fact, most are "stiffer than sitka" varieties of spruce. When I think of fingerstyle players I know cedar tops don't dominate among them either.

Fran
Nearly every fingerstyle guitar player I listen to uses cedar. Though a couple do have spruce tops in their collections, those instruments aren't their primary choices. This is simply my niche of players though. That's good to hear though
Seagull Entourage Rustic (I won it!)

PRS CE22
American Standard Stratocaster
Silverface 1978 Fender Champ
Fender Deluxe Reverb

Winner of the Virginia Guitar Festival

Feel free to call me Zach