Thread: Mando Milestone
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
I've been playing mandolin for around 40 years, but don't recall coming across an "4FCC" chord. What exactly is that chord?

** EDIT **

Doh! 4FCC = 4 finger chop chord. OK, yes - I play those. My advise is to lay your fingers GENTLY on the strings with your hand, wrist, and arm TOTALLY RELAXED. Try moving the universal joint of your wrist, fingers, hand, elbow, and shoulder while your fingers lay GENTLY on the strings (not pressing down at all) until you find the position which allows you to fret the chord as naturally as possible. Also while doing this, try moving the position of your mandolin neck (e.g. try pointing a bit up towards the ceiling) to find the optimal position of both the MANDOLIN and your ARM/HANDS/FINGERS.
Thanks for explaing tat , I've played mando on and off for yours but never heard of a 4FCC before!

OK, here's the thing. Like on 12 strings - the full chord is rarely necessary if playing percussively (i.e. .... the chop)

Frinstance - the G chord from E string to G string the full chord will be G,B, octave g, and D on 7th fret on "bass" G string. That is a loooong stretch and I've never been able to do it,

BUT (revelation time )

A partial G (power chord if you like) can be either the G on the D strings and the B on the G string or

A partial chord - as the original by play the G,B,oct G as original and either play the G string open , or better use pinky to damp the lot making you chop chord even more staccato.

Remember, it is courses not strings so a two note chord is still effectively four notes.

hope that helps,

One other thought - I used to play a four string chord as G,B,G,B Huhuh!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0550.jpg (29.1 KB, 37 views)