View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
As a kid we had practice drills for incoming Russian ICBMs. These were military air base grade school drills where the teacher would suddenly announce the drill and the kids would react by pushing all the desks towards the window and then crawl under them as if to avoid flying glass. Then the all clear was announced and the room returned to normal.

My pop was a nuclear bomber pilot and disappeared during the Cuban Missile Crisis. He was sent off to a base on the European continent from where he'd fly up and down the Russian border with a belly full of nukes waiting for orders to penetrate and head for designated targets.

When I was all growed up and a soldier in the air force I had to practice similar drills where I'd generate an airplane for immediate take-off. Then, taxiing down towards the runway coded orders came in to either take off or stand down. What we did know was some missions were one-way and those we would not know until airborne.

I'm all kinds of used to imminent danger hype. I think more of the same "mistakes" should be common place. Nothing like a population of galvanized individuals to see how petty their little first world problems are and bring sobriety to humanity. But, that's me. I'm not PC.
In this we agree. We did not have those drills but my service ended with the Cold War nearly 30 years ago. It amazes me how naive people can be nowadays. Life may have many more conveniences but if anything it’s gotten more complicated with information overload and widespread misinformation.