View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
As a kid we had practice drills for incoming Russian ICBMs. These were military air base grade school drills where the teacher would suddenly announce the drill and the kids would react by pushing all the desks towards the window and then crawl under them as if to avoid flying glass. Then the all clear was announced and the room returned to normal...

I'm all kinds of used to imminent danger hype. I think more of the same "mistakes" should be common place. Nothing like a population of galvanized individuals to see how petty their little first world problems are and bring sobriety to humanity. But, that's me. I'm not PC.
Had the same thing when I was in elementary school, along with "shelter dispersal drills," where you had to be personally picked up/signed out by a parent or other mature adult blood relative (no neighbors/siblings/cousins - good luck trying that today ), and routine testing of air raid sirens...

Fringe benefit was that we acquired an acute awareness of, and interest in, places/events/individuals outside our own immediate world, along with the ability to cultivate informed, reasoned opinions about same - something which, in 30+ years as a classroom teacher, I found sorely lacking in far too many of my students (and, sadly, their parents)...

I'd like to think I did something to rectify, at least in some small part, this unfortunate situation; thankfully everything worked out for the best today - I genuinely loved my kids, and I'd hate to think their last mortal act was texting a smiling selfie with overhead incoming fire in the background to Connor, Megan, and Ashley...