View Single Post
Old 07-17-2017, 08:16 AM

Default Choices: Journey Roadtrip Carbon Fiber vs. Emerald X20 Opus

After lurking about here for quite awhile, I would appreciate some feedback about picking up a carbon fiber guitar for the dry winter months to leave out for playing all the time. I have found I like smaller guitar bodies (old shoulder injury from a bike crash) and primarily play my Yamaha LS16R. It's not a bad size, but has quite a deep body, so when I pick up a carbon fiber model, I'd like playing comfort to play a big part of the decision. I don't really expect to bring the guitar for travel (I've got a cheap Washburn for that) so it will be the around the house, couch, etc. guitar. For what it's worth, I'm not a good player (working hard to get better) and mostly strum, but will be learning fingerpicking.

Both of the guitars noted have arm bevels and are smaller bodies. The X20 has a slightly bigger bout than my Yamaha and has a full-length scale, whereas the Journey has a somewhat smaller bout with the addition of a belly "cut" and Manzer wedge design to add additional comfort. I tend to prefer a warmer sound, and it's my impression from research that both these models are on the warmer side for CF.

The Journey Road Trip in CF is fairly new and I'm not able to find out much about it beyond a couple of short videos on Youtube, but they seem to have a good reputation. I suspect the Emerald X7 might be too small (I don't want to hunch) and the Journey OF660, while nice, is reported as being quite neck heavy, so I'm not considering those two strongly and expect them to be out of the running.

Has anyone played the CF Journey Road Trip? If so, I'd love to hear your impressions. Re: the Emerald X20, how is playing comfort? What I've read is the sound is quite nice.

Last edited by Texrider; 07-17-2017 at 08:37 AM.