View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 08:26 AM

Cool Why do you guys not like Esteban??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
...I suspect a great deal of it has to do with the fact that Esteban doesn't need our approval. He's doing just fine doing what he's doing, and doesn't need any of us on these guitar forums to be fans in order to continue enjoying the prominence, name recognition and success that he's achieved.

I'm not saying that the criticisms of Esteban that we've read in this thread are inaccurate or inspired by jealousy; on the contrary, I think they're quite accurate. What I am saying is that they do not matter....

The late, great Chicago newspaperman Mike Royko used to say that the motto of the city of Chicago should be "I Got Mine," and I think it's likely that Esteban has a similar outlook on life.

Whatever valid criticisms of his music, persona and marketing approach any of us may have, he's managed to lift himself out of anonymity and become a household name, something very few guitarists manage to do. So however crass, kitschy and eye-roll-worthy his approach may be, he's clearly doing something right.

I'm sure he's crying all the way to the bank....Wade Hampton Miller
I totally agree with Wade on this. As I have mentioned (on several occasions), my guitar buying decisions are based on how a guitar looks, and not how is sounds. Even if I was looking for a "wall-hanger" I would not buy an Esteban guitar. While they are nice looking IMO, based on what I've read, his instruments are cheap, low-quality guitars. And, I have never see his guitars demo'd by those, whose opinions I respect. While his talent as a guitarist is evident, his guitars should be a reflection of his talent, and they are not. He's a charlatan...or con man.

If you want to find out first-hand, there are plenty of his guitars available on eBay, and quite affordable. Even though, my first consideration when purchasing any guitar is the look, I must also consider the quality of the build...always. Based on my own research, Esteban guitars just don't measure up.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”